Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Relativism and Martyrdom

Post modern thought contends that truth cannot be known outside of one's culture and experiences. So-called "hard" post moderns contend that objective truth is neither obtainable nor desirable.

How does this assertion affect Christianity?

Very negatively, I would think. The first approximately 3 centuries of the Church's existence was defined by severe and constant persecution. I wonder if those first Christians, the founders of our faith, would have been willing to endure the suffering and hardships, if they hadn't believed in objective truth. The objective truth being, of course, that Jesus the Christ was the Son of God, that He died, was buried, rose again on the third day, and ascended into heaven.

Post modern Christianity seems kind of mushy by comparison.

Have you ever read Foxe's Book of Martyrs? Foxe chronicles a bit about early church fathers, but mostly about Protestants who die for their beliefs at the hands of Catholics (thank goodness both have mellowed). To be willing to die at the hands of another for your beliefs is an amazing test of strength & faith. I cannot imagine one willing to undergo torture and finally death for a faith that cannot even assert that it is "true". I don't think it's even a remote possibility.

I think truth just is. It is true outside of me, my experiences, or my cultural background. How could science even function without the search for objective truth? I cannot know all that is true. My finite mind simply will not comprehend all that is. But to me, at least, that has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not something is true. Something is true because it is true, not because of any perception, or lack of it, held by me.

I'm not saying that post modern thought process doesn't hold value. It does. Many times I've seen people read and interpret the Scripture without attempting to understand the cultural and historical context in which it is written. This is faulty exegesis at best, and at worst, purposeful misinterpretation. The value of the post modern viewpoint that we all are subject to cultural interpretation cannot be overstated. However, we cannot follow the line of "reasoning" to a conclusion that objective truth does not exist. That's simply errant.

Can you imagine Peter being crucified upside down on a cross for some fuzzy relativistic religious concept?

No.

1 Rant In Reply:

Blogger dave bones said...

Do you think these people were called terrorists by corrupt governments who were in power?

Friday, September 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home