Friday, September 23, 2005

We Interrupt This Tagging ...

Huricane Rita is due to make land fall in the next 4 - 6 hours. I would be remiss if I didn't post what I know of the event.

My brother and fam are still MIA, although I imagine they are in the Austin area with my brother's in-laws ... I hope. My wife's cousin was in constant contact yesterday from I10 where he was pretty much stuck. He was making less than 10 miles per hour of progess. His fam went to San Antonio the day before. Don't know yet where he is today.

Rita's eye is set to make land fall in the Port Arthur / Beaumont area in the next few hours. They expect somewhere between 10 and 30 inches of rain.

Hotels are full here in Abilene, and shelters are filling rapidly. Plans made for Katrina are being executed for Rita.

Local NBC affiliate KRBC has opened a Weather Blog to cover the event. That is a very good idea.

News video showed Galveston weather conditions worstening rapidly. New Orleans is back under water with at least one major levee breach. The I45 corridor between Houston and Dallas is beginning to move, only hours before the full brunt of the storm hits. The South-bound lanes have been opened to North bound traffic to clear the highway more quickly. Traffic on I10 is moving well.

Texas is not only absorbing almost a million residents of LA, but 4 million from the Houston area as well. We take care of our own. Now, if somebody would just bring us some gas ... just kidding, we'll make some more.

More later.

Update: Notice, Rita is not daring to make land before the Friday night High School football games are over. Abilene High is in Texas Stadium tonight. He.

2 Rant In Reply:

Blogger dave bones said...

my oldest non-afiliated (politically) blogging pal Tequilita has taken refuge in Austin.

Friday, September 23, 2005  
Blogger R&B said...

Austin would've been where I would have gone, as well. You could hang out in the dives on sixth street and watch your place get wiped out on TV ...

Saturday, September 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home