Saturday, October 29, 2005

What a Week!

I barely even scratched the blogosphere this week. Shoot, I barely even kept up with the news! I managed to win a book over at realgem, but that may have been last week, now that I think about it. Now, what would I want to read from the UK? Hmmm, something about "squatting", I think.

If I get the gist of it, "sqatting" is loosely like being homeless. I can relate, at least a little. I lived in a roadside park on the Angelina River for several months. I had a job at the time, just not a place to live. I would pull into the park after dark, and listen to the old black men drinking wine, playing guitars and blues harps, and singing blues. It was an introspective time. Lazy may just have to write the book I want to read, but that would be cool. How 'bout it?

Speaking of the UK, where is Dave Bones? His blog is a blank slate at the moment. His last post had something to do with Nazis in Utah picking on ravers. That kind of stuff really ticks me off. There's no excuse for it. But then, Dave disappears? I hope his interviews with terrorists didn't get him in trouble.

I spent three days of my life last week disinfecting a friend's computer. I got a chord of oak firewood for my trouble. He had a variant of the VX2 malware infection. What a pain! I got it dead, though.

I used a combination of several products to kill this little nasty. Adaware, of course, is always on top of the list. And I always scan the computer with Avg Free to get rid of actual virus infections. But neither product effectively removed the VX2 infection on their own. I had to use Hijack This extensively to remove the infections totally. But the VX2 infection would return immediately after removal. I also used several of the products from Sysinternals to analyze the system as it was running. I find Process Explorer, Autoruns, and TCP View especially helpful in the analysis process. One caveat however, if you don't know what you are doing leave these products alone as you can destroy your system with them (especially Hijack This).

Maybe I should write a book or something. I'd have to pay attention to what I do, because I've disinfected so many systems I do it almost without thinking. Well, sort of. Actually, you have to think pretty intensely to accomplish the task. I've just not done a step-by-step of what it is that I do.

There was a lot of news last week that I totally didn't comment on. I'll comment on one thing right now: Harriet Miers. I predicted over on Golden Eagle's blog that Ms. Miers was a "sacrifical lamb" intended to stir controversy so that the real nominee would get through the appointment process easier. It appears that it was a good call. She has withdrawn her nomination because the whitehouse cannot divulge the documents requested. I thought she would go to a committee vote, but this works as well. Be prepared for a very conservative nomination next.

Well that's it for now. Sorry about the stream of conscieness post. It was, as I said, a long week. Perhaps I'll be more coherent later.

9 Rant In Reply:

Blogger bold as love said...

R&B,
I've been saying the same thing for w few weeks now about the Miers nomination- I just never believed she was it. I think "W" had to stir up the conservatives and get them ready for a fight- sorta like a pep rally- Braveheart style.
Later'

Sunday, October 30, 2005  
Blogger I.:.S.:. said...

I lost a great free-lance job 'cause I spent a full day disinfecting and backing-up a friend's computer...

Malung-tv-news is back again, I think...

I wrote an article about squatting recently, you'll find the link on realgem...

Monday, October 31, 2005  
Blogger R&B said...

boldaslove; It figures you would figure the sacrificial lamb strategy out. I like the pep rally idea. That's exactly what's going on ... and it's working.

lazy; caught the article over on realgem ...cool article and answers most of my questions. Will comment over there.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005  
Blogger Goji Juice said...

Hello everyone! ... sorry I'm a newbie, how does this blog thing work? I bought some products from this store: www.eBookLovers.com but too dumb to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005  
Blogger R&B said...

See, the reason I didn't put in word verification is 1) I hate it, and 2) the comment spam continues to get more interesting. Oh, and I'll not be visiting your bookstore, LCD. Sorry. Spam doesn't work, at least with me.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!

Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.

Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!Adult Personals

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger dave bones said...

Yes malungs are back. was on mushy manoevers...
I was speaking to Mike about what book to send you. Maybe he should send you "the squatters handbook" your blues and car crashing sounds more inspirational than most of our squatting experiences!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger R&B said...

Actually, it was kind of cool. But when the highway patrol parked their cop cars right next to me to run radar on speeders, well, let's just say it was kind of weird.

Not half as weird as the corpse sitting up that Mike talked about. Now that's weird!

Thursday, November 03, 2005  
Blogger dave bones said...

He makes most of it up I'm sure.

Sunday, November 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home